[ACLU-CU ALERT] Join us tonight and in the future!

Champaign County ACLU Announcements Announce at aclu-cu.org
Wed May 10 09:06:24 MDT 2006

Dear All,

Opponents of equal civil marriage rites in Illinois have reportedly
secured enough signatures to add the following advisory referendum to
all Illinois ballots in the November election:

“Shall the Illinois General Assembly submit an amendment to Article IX
of the Illinois State Constitution to the voters of the State of
Illinois at large at the next General Election stating as follows: ‘To
secure and preserve the benefits of marriage for our society and for
future generations of children, a marriage between a man and a woman is
the only legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State’?”

Because of the hurtful nature of this referendum to gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered families, concerned citizens are uniting to
verify that all the submitted signatures are in fact valid and that all
the relevant election laws were followed.

Locally, CU at the Altar is working with Equal Marriage Illinois (a
statewide partnership between the ACLU of Illinois, Lambda Legal and
Equality Illinois) to educate citizens about the need for equal
marriage (civil marriage) protections for all families in Illinois.
And, if the anti-gay referendum does make it on the ballot, we will
work to defeat it.

Please join us tonight at 5:30pm in the Geneva Room of the McKinely
Foundation (5tha nd Daniel in Urbana) to help plan our strategy. We
will serve pizza to all who come.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Kimberlie Kranich
kakranich at yahoo.com
CU at the Altar (a project of the 85% Coalition)