[ACLU-CU ALERT] Pro-Choice Lawyers Needed

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Thu Jul 16 15:44:40 MDT 2009

Please respond to me (estherpatt at hotmail.com) with suggestions of any pro-choice lawyers you know (including yourself) who I can contact to help with ACLU of Illinois' effort to preserve reproductive choice for women under the age of 18.   Further explanation is in the message from Colleen Connell, Executive Director of the ACLU of Illinois.

Thank you,
Esther Patt
Champaign County Chapter President

>From Colleen:

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit upheld the Illinois Parental Notice of Abortion Act on July 14th, dissolving an injunction that ACLU first secured 26 years ago. When the Court of Appeals’ mandate issues, a pregnant teen who seeks an abortion in Illinois must either tell a parent or go to court and try to persuade a state court judge that she is mature enough to make the decision or that an abortion, without parental involvement, is in her best interests.

The ACLU is recruiting volunteer lawyers throughout the state who are willing to represent teens, pro bono, in the bypass proceedings.  At a minimum, the ACLU anticipates that several hundred bypass petitions will be filed every year.  If you are interested in being trained as a volunteer attorney to represent teens in the bypass proceedings, please contact ACLU lawyer Khadine Bennett.  Khadine can be reached at kbennett at aclu-il.org or 312/2019740, extension 306.

Note to recipients of this message: If you are a lawyer and you contact Khadine directly, that's fine but please let me know so I can keep track of which local attorneys have been in contact with ACLU.  Thanks,
Esther Patt