[ACLU-CU ALERT] Nov 2 Safe Schools Forum

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Sun Oct 25 09:21:04 MDT 2009

Find out what can be done to make our schools safe for all children, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity

When:            Monday, November 2  -  6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

Where:          Parkland College Theatre
                        2400 West Bradley Avenue
                        Champaign

Who:              Dr. Christopher Koch, State Superintendent of Education
                        and a panel of youth and educators affected by bullying

Bullying in public schools based on real or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity/expression may be the last sanctioned form of discrimination in our educational system. Last year, eCISSA (East Central Illinois Safe Schools Alliance (eCISSA), a partnership of Champaign-Urbana area youth, adults and organizations, formed to address concerns about bullying of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) students in our public schools.  Based on reports of researchers, educators and (current and former) students, this group has determined that bullying of LGBT students is pervasive in area schools and, often, school personnel don't know what to do to stop it.

“Making our Schools Safe for LGBT Students” forum is an opportunity for educators, parents, students and concerned citizens to address the bullying of LGBT students in Champaign-Urbana area public schools and explore “best practices” for insuring that all students find school a safe, secure place to learn, explore new ideas and mature.

Dr. Christopher Koch, the State Superintendent of Education for Illinois, will make opening remarks at the program.   These remarks will be followed by a panel of youth, parents, teachers, administrators, researchers, and lawyers who offer their perspectives on this problem.  There will also be a question and answer period.

The forum is free and open to the public.  It is co-sponsored by ACLU of Illinois, the Champaign County chapter of ACLU of Illinois and the Illinois Safe Schools Alliance, Acorn Equality Fund, Social Justice Committee of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana-Champaign and the Social Justice Committee of Urbana High School.