[ACLU-CU ALERT] Contact Governor Rauner!

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Mon Apr 17 10:28:57 MDT 2017

Dear Champaign County ACLU Members,

House Bill 40 (HB 40) removes discriminatory provisions from Illinois law that
deny insurance coverage of abortion to many women who depend on Medicaid
and State Employee Health Insurance. By removing the anti-choice “trigger”
language from the 1975 Act, HB 40 ensures that women’s health care will be
protected in Illinois, regardless of what happens to the Supreme Court in a
Trump administration.

Every woman, regardless of whether she has private or government-funded
health insurance, should have affordable and comprehensive health care
coverage that includes coverage for abortion care, so she can make personal
health decisions based on what is
​ ​
​best ​for her and her family.

You can take action today. It will only take 5 minutes!

Call Governor Rauner
​!​

Ask him to reverse his position on HB 40
​and
let him know that if he vetoes this bill,
you will hold him accountable at the voting booth.

Springfield office: 217-782-0244
Chicago office: 312-814-2121

Can't call? Contact Governor Rauner online
​:​

https://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactus/Pages/VoiceAnOpinion.aspx

SIMPLE SCRIPT (personalize as appropriate): Hello, my name is X and I am an
​ ​
Illinois ​voter. I'm calling to urge Governor Rauner to reconsider his
decision to veto HB 40. My address is X. Thank you.

​Thanks -- for all you so as a member of ACLU!
 Let's resist and persist!

Champaign County ACLU Steering Committee​

​MORE INFO:​

​Read Lorie Chaiten's statement:

Statement of Lorie Chaiten, Director
Reproductive Rights Project Director
ACLU of Illinois
RE: Governor Rauner’s announced opposition to HB40
April 14, 2017

We are disappointed and dismayed that Governor Rauner has turned his back
on the health care needs of women in Illinois by announcing his opposition
to House Bill 40. This measure – which had strong support in the House of
Representatives – is a critical opportunity to support the women of
Illinois and fight back against reckless threats emanating from Washington,
DC. Illinois women need a Governor who will be bold and brave and stand up
to the politicians in DC who think they should be able to make health care
decisions for a woman – without knowing anything about her life.

The Governor can expect to hear from Illinois women who wanted Illinois
officials to take action and to speak out forcefully for equality and
justice. Now is not the time for the Governor to stand in the background.
He should stand with women and to secure essential rights that will protect
lives and health.​