[ACLU-CU ALERT] Join ACLU for July 4th Parade

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Tue Jul 2 11:09:19 EDT 2019

PLEASE join the ACLU Thursday for the July 4th parade –the ACLU has never
been busier trying to hold off the erosion of civil liberties for all and
with many people out of town in the summer, we encourage everyone available
to show up.

Marchers can get a free Champaign County ACLU T shirt for your efforts!  We
have sizes from medium up.  We will bring some extras, but if you plan to
march, it would be helpful for you to send me (Carol Leff) the size you
want, so that I can be sure to have it for you.  My email is
carolleff1947 at gmail.com

We will also have some signs and a banner to march with, but feel free to
bring your own sign, of course. The parade theme this year is Flight in
Space, so some imagination needed on that!  Check the ACLU websites
(Illinois and national) for inspiration on pending issues.

*We are #32 in the parade line-up*

*This means that someone needs to check in by 10, and we will, but regular
marchers should be on the spot by no later than 10:30, because the parade
starts very promptly at 11:05, and we are early in the line up. *

Below are the specific instructions from the parade organizers about
getting in and out of the parade staging grounds, weather conditions, etc.

   1. With the potential for inclement weather we will post updates on our
   website, www.july4th.net and our Facebook page.  A decision on the
parade will
   be made around 8:00 am on July 4th.  We will also alert media outlets on
   any changes to the parade.

   1. We will have two entrances. One from the north off of Kirby Ave., and
   one from the south off of St. Mary’s Rd. They will be marked with flags!
   We will have volunteers at each entrance checking you in, directing you to
   your parking location and distributing your Unit numbers which are to be
   placed in the windshield of your vehicle. Please return them to the
   volunteer at the end of the parade.

   1. At the end of the parade, please either turn the corner onto Illinois
   Ave. or proceed north on Lincoln to disband. DO NOT STOP in the
   intersection of Lincoln/Illinois to take pictures. We must keep the
   parade moving!

   1. You will be assembling in the E-14 Parking Lot across the street from
   the West side of State Farm Center.

   1. Your reporting times are as follows:  UNIT NUMBERS 1-50 Before 10:00
   am.  UNIT NUMBERS 50 and up After 10:00 am.

   1. Vehicle drivers must show a valid driver’s license. (we won’t have a
   vehicle this year.)

   1. The North end of lot E-14, where you will be staging, will be open
   for people to park who are with your unit.  But you must be out of the
   lot by 2:00 pm or will be towed.  The fireworks are staged there, and we
   cannot have any vehicles in the lot after 2:00 pm.