[ACLU-CU ALERT] Take action: Urbana school board votes Sept 15 on police officers in schools

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Thu Sep 10 22:19:26 EDT 2020

Dear ACLU supporters,

We need your help! The Urbana School Board will vote September 15 on its
2020-21 budget.

The ACLU and NAACP have urged the school board not to continue funding two
school resource officers (SROs). The national ACLU opposes this use of
limited school funds especially because research shows that armed police in
schools do not make schools safer and do create a school-to-prison pipeline
that can have especially serious consequences for students of color. Over
$300,000 is budgeted for this Urbana program at a time when needs are great.

The Board is concerned because there was an outpouring of public support
for the SROs back when they were hired. But the world has evolved and we
need to let the school board know our community does not want armed police
in schools. Help us diminish structural racism in our educational system by
writing the school board right NOW at board at usd116.org  to let them know
you oppose SROs in Urbana schools.

Thanks!

Champaign County ACLU