[ACLU-CU ALERT] Fwd: NAACP-ACLU draft use of force policy

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Wed Feb 3 16:56:51 EST 2021

*Dear Champaign County ACLU members and friends**,* *especially those of
you who live in Urbana*,

We hope this note finds you well.

We are attaching a copy of the proposal we have put forward for a new use
of force policy for UPD and a list of resources we used in creating it. We
hope you will forward it to Urbana friends and allies.

Working with Minnie Pearson, president of NAACP-Champaign County
Branch, we have
met with the mayor and chief of police and another meeting is planned soon
after they have had more time to examine our proposed policy draft. It
isn't going to be easy to convince them to accept the nitty-gritty details
and we will need to organize a community-wide push.

But before that, of course, we want you to read it, think it over, and have
a chance to give your input to the mayor and city council. This proposed
draft policy is incomplete, since it is difficult to write a policy without
more input from the city staff and the Police Department and because of
changes happening with state law, the new One Door program, and the CPRB,
which we hope will take on a stronger advisory role.

But without a draft, the process cannot go forward and this draft is, we
think, a good place to start. We would appreciate your help with *1)
getting this proposed policy out to the Urbana community* and, *2)
advocating for the community to have an active role in formulating the
final use of force policy*. It's important that everyone in Urbana who
wants to weigh in has the opportunity to do so.

*Please feel free to forward.* You can also find these two docs on the ACLU
website at aclu-cu.org.

*Thanks for all you do,*
Carol

[image: ACLU-CU-LOGO copy.jpg]