[ACLU-CU ALERT] PLEASE FILE A WITNESS SLIP

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Mon Mar 8 09:37:30 EST 2021

Dear ACLU  of Champaign County supporters and members,

WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW!

More than 10 years ago, the ACLU led the effort in Illinois to pass the
pioneering Biometric Privacy Information Act (BIPA) in our state.  The law
– one of the most far-reaching in the country – assures that your most
private information – including your face print, fingerprints and DNA –
could *not* be collected and used by a private company without providing
the consumer notice that the information was being collected and giving
consent for sharing and using the data. In the past few years, a number of
companies – including large social media companies – have been held
accountable in court for violating the rights of Illinois residents under
BIPA.

                Rather than simply comply with the law, these companies are
now working to gut BIPA and reduce privacy protections for Illinois
residents.  On Tuesday afternoon, March 9th, the Illinois House Judiciary –
Civil Committee will hear two bills that gut these protections.

             We are asking you to file 2 witness slips for your *SELF* as
an individual *OPPONENT* of House Bill 559 and House Bill 560. At the
bottom, click *RECORD OF APPEARANCE ONLY*.

*You can find directions and links to do this* here
<https://www.aclu-il.org/en/take-action-protect-bipa>.

                Our Advocacy team is working tirelessly to defeat these –
and other measures – to weaken BIPA.

Your voice would contribute mightily to this effort.  Thanks so much and
please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

CHAMPAIGN COUNTY ACLU

info at aclu-cu.org
[image: image.jpeg]