[ACLU-CU ALERT] Fwd: Call for Courtwatchers to Monitor the Implementation of the Pretrial Fairness Act

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Thu Aug 3 09:06:31 EDT 2023

Dear ACLU members and supporters
This summer, the Illinois Supreme court ruled to uphold the  2021 provision
of the Illinois Pretrial Fairness Act here that eliminated cash bail for
those who posed no distinct line of flight and didn't have highly violent
crimes. A network of pretrial justice organizations across the state
engaged in court watching at bail courts BEFORE the act went into effect,
and now the comparison is the impact of the implementation of the act. You
should know that scholarly studies show that those incarcerated because
they can't pay bail are more likely to lose jobs and family, more likely to
be convicted, more likely to be recidivists. So will the reform matter? We
need to know and the only other broad study of Illinois bail reform doesn't
include Champaign County.
If you are interested in participating in this follow up, the training is
August 6 (information below)
My experience is that forwarded sign-up links don't always work, so here is
the operative sign up link
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuJoxJPWq-pWdgaabvjJhICg65LJk_p-aRFn_Zvy40MNjM0w/viewform

Sincerely
Carol S Leff