[ACLU-CU ALERT] 4th of July Parade 2023-- COME MARCH WITH ACLU

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Sat Jul 1 22:52:45 EDT 2023

ACLU  Champaign County parade walkers would welcome those who want to join
us under the longtime ACLU message:  Because Freedom Can’t Protect Itself.
And any ACLU issues of concern to you, such as this week's Supreme Court,
in which ACLU filed amicus briefs, alas on the losing side.

The parade is Tuesday July 4.

We are number 47 of 67—a shorter parade than usual, I think. The parade as
always is scheduled to begin at 11:05AM and they are usually pretty good at
avoiding delays.  The parade route from the West Parking lot E-14 across
from the Assembly Hall goes down Florida, turns left onto Lincoln and ends
at Illinois and Lincoln.  Maybe an hour's walk once we start off?

We will be handing out (NOT allowed to throw) wrapped candy so feel free to
bring some, and bill of rights bookmarks

Some signs will be available or bring your own.  We will also have a
rolling cooler with water bottles (Please return empties to the cart)

Questions? Contact carolleff1947 at gmail.com

Here are some of the instructions from the parade organizers including
about weather, parking etc with capitalized notes from ACLU volunteers who
have marched before

“1. With the potential for inclement weather we will post updates on our
website, www.july4th.net and our Facebook page. A decision on the parade
will be made around 8:00 am on July 4th. We will also alert media outlets
on any changes to the parade. (AS OF SATURDAY NIGHT, JULY 1 TUESDAY WEATHER
SLATED TO BE HIGH OF 87 PARTLY CLOUDY)

2. We will have one entrance, off of Oak street. There will be a check-in
tent inside of the entrance. Please check in once you arrive, then head to
your spot. ( WE ARE LISTED AS CHAMPAIGN COUNTY AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES
UNION NOT ACLU--) We will have volunteers at the entrance checking you in,
directing you to your parking location

(IF YOU BIKE, YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED TO WALK YOUR BIKE IN THE ACTUAL PARADE)

3. At the end of the parade, please either turn the corner onto Illinois
Ave. or proceed north on Lincoln to disband. DO NOT STOP at the end of the
parade to take pictures or unload participants. We must keep the parade
moving! We will have a uniformed police officer assisting our volunteer to
help.

5. You will be assembling in the E-14 Parking Lot across the street from
the West side of State Farm Center.

6. Your reporting times are as follows:  9:00 to 10:30 am.  All units must
be in place by 10:55, plan to arrive with enough time to make that
happen. (ACLU--ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO COME AT 9, BECAUSE AN ACLU VOLUNTEER
WILL CHECK IN EARLY AND NO ONE ELSE NEEDS TO STAND AROUND FOR HOURS—10:30
IS MORE THAN GOOD ENOUGH, OR EVEN A BIT LATER.)

8. The North end of lot E-14, where you will be staging, will be open for
people to park who are with your unit. But you must be out of the lot by
2:00 pm or will be towed. The fireworks are staged there, and we cannot
have any vehicles in the lot after 2:00 pm.