[ACLU-CU ALERT] ACLU NEWSLETTER FEB 2024

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Mon Feb 26 10:26:35 EST 2024

The Never-Regular But Always-True Newsletter From...

 [image: A blue and white sign with white text Description automatically
generated]

www.aclu-cu.org

Dear Members, Supporters, Friends and Allies,

Here at ACLU of Champaign County we are looking back and celebrating our
most exciting victory of the past year.

Working in coalition with allied organizations, ACLU succeeded in ending
money bond in Illinois on September 18, 2023. We are the first and only
state in the nation to accomplish this important reform!

No longer will domestic abusers and professional violent criminals be able
to pay up and get out of jail. Instead, a hearing will be held to determine
whether the accused person is a danger to themselves, another person, or
their community. Or a flight risk. If so, they remain in jail. Those not
deemed dangerous will await their court appearances at home where they can
continue to work and take care of family responsibilities.

The inability to pay cash bail has ravaged low-income Black and Brown
communities in particular, and although other reforms are needed, this is a
giant first step toward making our justice system fairer for all.

There were plenty of naysayers who said it wouldn't work and lots of
disinformation being spread around.

So, how's the big change going?

*JOIN US on Friday, April 12 from 5-7 PM at the IMC to celebrate seven
months of progress! Hear directly from our Champaign County Public
Defender, Lis Pollock, for the local perspective, as well as Ben Ruddell
from ACLU of Illinois for a statewide view. Real live in-person humans!
Real, not virtual snacks! *

*Hope to see you there!*

*****

*THE ACLU of ILLINOIS ANNUAL **LUNCH*
<https://www.aclu-il.org/en/events/lunch2024>

*Friday, MARCH 1st in Chicago.*

The program will include a keynote from ACLU Repro Rights Artist Ambassador
Busy Philipps, a performance by Young Chicago Author’s Poet Chima “Naira”
Ikoro, and remarks by Cook County Public Defender Sharone R. Mitchell, Jr.

*WANT TO ATTEND FROM HOME? *

Your lunch + Our inspiring speakers. Great combination! Register here and
you will receive a link for the livestream.
https://action.aclu.org/legal-intake/aclu-partner-registration-2024-aclu-lunch

***

*And keep in mind: Urbana Champaign Reproductive Justice Week  April 19-28 *
https://www.ucrj.org/ucrjweek2024

WANT TO JOIN OR RENEW YOUR ACLU MEMBERSHIP?

https://action.aclu.org/give/illinois-join-renew-today

FIND US AT www.aclu-cu.org

*THANKS for reading and Supporting ACLU Champaign County!*