[ACLU-CU ALERT] FRIDAY MORNING ACTION -- call to support the Dream Act 2017!

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Thu Jan 18 23:04:39 EST 2018

Dear ACLU members,

In solidarity with our allies at CU Immigration Forum, we are pushing for a
path to citizenship for DACA recipients or Dreamers, who were brought to
the US as children. Illinois has an estimated 42,000 DACA recipients. Here
in *Champaign County,* there is no official count of how many DACA
recipients will be affected but we know that hundreds of young adults will
lose everything if DACA is rescinded.

According to almost all national polls, citizens of the U.S. are not in
favor of expelling the Dreamers. In September, when President Trump
rescinded the Executive Order created by President Obama in 2009, he stated
it was up to Congress to pass legislation to support the Dreamers. Some
progress *was* made; Senators Graham and Durbin are the leaders of a
*bipartisan* group who have presented President Trump an immigration
compromise to provide a path to citizenship for DACA recipients as well as
$1.6 billion for border security.

*Why now?* Congress must agree to fund government operations in a
Continuing Resolution (CR). After passing a CR to avoid a government
shutdown in December, a budget must be passed by noon Friday. Senator
McConnell and Representative Ryan, Republican leaders of the Senate and the
House, support “kicking the can down the road.” They want to pass a CR
without including a pathway to citizenship for Dreamers. Democrats say no.
They will not support a Continuing Resolution to avoid a government
shutdown without legislation for the Dreamers. More importantly, Senator
Lindsey Graham and other Republican senators told reporters today that they
plan to vote against the GOP leadership’s short-term funding bill.

We cannot hold the lives of our young Dreamers hostage any longer. Neither
can we shut down our government and put vulnerable lives at risk.

*Call the office of Senator McConnell and demand that he allow the
Graham-Durbin proposal to come to the floor of the Senate for a vote. *

(202) 224-2541 <+12022242541>.

*Call the office of Representative Rodney Davis and ask him to support the
Dream Act 2017. *202-225-2371 or 217- 403-4690.

You can also call via ACLU People Power at 1-844-889-3222. Put in your zip
code and you will be connected to your congressional representative's
office.

Thanks for all you do!

Champaign County ACLU