[ACLU-CU ALERT] Increase threshold for felony theft HB 1614

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Mon Mar 18 17:58:20 EDT 2019

We are writing to request that you file a witness slip as a PROPONENT of HB 1614 the bill to increase to $2,000 (from $300) the threshold for retail theft to be charged as a felony. The bill may be called for a vote tomorrow afternoon, Tuesday March 19 at 5:00pm in the House Judiciary-Criminal Committee. Please scroll down to find a link where you can complete a slip in just a minute or two.

Communities United and ACLU-IL are partnering on this important measure to reform sentences for low-level property crimes in order to reduce the number of people sent to prison and/or burdened with felony records—practices that only harm communities and create barriers which make recidivism more likely. A fact sheet is attached.

We would be most grateful if you could take a moment to file a slip, and pass this message along to anyone else in your network who might be inclined to do the same. Thank you!

HB1614:
•  WHAT THE BILL DOES: Sets the felony threshold at $2,000 for retail theft and theft from $300 and $500 respectively.
•  WHY HB 1614 MATTERS: As we know, keeping the value of an item so low to become a felony, is a vehicle to keep criminalizing poverty, mental disabilities, and substance abuse addiction and another law were the punishment just doesn't fit the offense. In addition, Illinois has not adjusted this amount to inflation like many other states have.
To file a witness slip:
1. Go to this link:
http://my.ilga.gov/WitnessSlip/Create/116090?committeeHearingId=16756&LegislationId=116090&LegislationDocumentId=147208&HCommittees3%2F25%2F2019-page=1&committeeid=0&chamber=H&nodays=7&_=1552938831807&GridCurrentCommittees-page=4
2. Fill out the form with your information. If you do not represent a firm or organization, please write 'self'
3. To indicate your support for the bill, please click “PROPONENT"
4. For testimony - if you are just filing a slip (not testifying in person or submitting oral testimony), choose "record of appearance only."
5. To submit the slip, click agreement with rules and then click the button "create slip"