[ACLU-CU ALERT] Fwd: Election Judge Opportunity

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Wed Jul 15 17:09:36 EDT 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michelle Hernandez <MHernandez at aclu-il.org>
Date: Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 10:07 AM
Subject: Election Judge Opportunity
To: Chapter Representatives <ChapterRepresentatives at aclu-il.org>
Cc: Khadine Bennett <kbennett at aclu-il.org>, Ed Yohnka <EYohnka at aclu-il.org>,
Emmalee Scott <escott at aclu-il.org>

Hello,

My name is Michelle Hernandez and I am an Advocacy Associate working on
voting rights with the ACLU of Illinois. I am writing to share an
opportunity that I hope you will consider. As part of our commitment to
voting rights and the electoral process, we are helping recruit people from
the ACLU network to serve as election judges in their respective counties
for the upcoming general election on *November 3rd*. Election judges help
polling places run smoothly on Election Day and help ensure that in-person
voters can access their voting rights.  To serve as an election judge you
must:

·         Be a U.S. citizen

·         At least 16 years old

·         Reside in the county where you will be serving

·         Be able to speak, read, and write in English

·         Be able to perform basic math

·         Not be required to register with the Sex Offender Registry
anywhere in the U.S.

·         Not be a candidate for any office in this election

·         Not be a precinct captain or elected committeeperson

Please see the attached document for additional election judge requirements
and agreements. If you decide to serve as an election judge, you will be
required to serve all day on Election Day, from 5am until after the polls
close at 7pm.

*If you are interested in serving as an election judge on November 3, 2020,
please respond to this email by Wednesday, July 22nd at 5pm with your name,
address, and birthday.* This is information that each election authority
will need to register you as an election judge. Please also indicate if you
speak a language in addition to English, as the election authorities may
need more bilingual election judges. I will be coordinating with your
respective election authority to send you the appropriate registration
information in the coming weeks.

After registering with the election authority, you will have to attend two
virtual trainings, one from your election authority and one from ACLU
staff. Your election authority will train you on the specific voting
practices in your district, while the ACLU training will cover statewide
best practices for Election Day. The ACLU-led training will take place in
mid-August, and the date of the other training will vary depending on your
election authority.

Please let me know if you are interested, or if you have any questions
before making a commitment.

We hope many of you will be excited to serve!

Best,

*Michelle Hernandez*

*Pronouns: she/her*

Advocacy Associate | ACLU of Illinois