[ACLU-CU ALERT] Fwd: FW: ACLU of Illinois Responds to Election Night ‘Security Plans’

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Mon Nov 2 14:48:15 EST 2020

*ACLU of Illinois Responds to Election Night *

*‘Security Plans’*

*CONTACT: **Max Bever, **mbever at aclu-il.org* <mbever at aclu-il.org>*;
312.201.9740, ext. 306; 309.310.1189 (cell) *

*The ACLU of Illinois today responded to reports of communities across
Illinois making plans for possible First Amendment activity in the wake of
Tuesday’s election. The following can be attributed to Colleen K. Connell,
Executive Director of the ACLU of Illinois: *

“This election season has been extraordinary – marked by millions of
Americans waiting for hours to vote early and millions of others voting by
mail. Still other Americans have encouraged those waiting to cast their
ballot with advocacy, music, dancing and even cookies and pizza. In this
difficult time, the American people have come together to fight the
pandemic, challenge blatant voter suppression and make their voices heard.

These voices will not fall silent on Tuesday. In the wake of the election,
millions of Americans will continue to exercise free expression – including
some who will gather together in the streets of Illinois. Some will
celebrate the election’s outcome; others will communicate their
disappointment; and still others will want to articulate their vision of
policies that make our neighborhoods and our country better. No matter the
message, these are voices of Americans who have a yearning and a right to
come together and be heard.

As communities across our state make plans for these gatherings after the
election, the main focus must be to assure that all voices are welcome on
our streets and in our plazas This requirement that government respect the
rights of Americans to assemble and speak is embedded in our Constitution,
and it is the process for improving our country.

Let’s count every vote and then celebrate the freedom to assemble and to
speak!”

###