[ACLU-CU ALERT] ACLU Support governor and legislators who voted for Criminal Justice reform

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Sat Jan 30 13:27:57 EST 2021

We pass along a message from ACLU Illinois HQ

*CONTACT THE GOVERNOR AND YOUR LEGISLATORS*

The omnibus criminal justice reform bill (House Bill 3653) crafted by the
legislature's Black political caucus passed this month in the Illinois
House and Senate, a measure taking significant steps to bring more
accountability to policing in Illinois and to address the state’s
overreliance on mass incarceration.

personnel have engaged in a campaign of misinformation in order to dissuade
Governor Pritzker from signing the bill into law.  We urge you to take
action to encourage the Governor to sign the bill
<https://action.aclu.org/send-message/tell-governor-pritzker-support-police-accountability-and-criminal-justice-reform?fbclid=IwAR2ahs1VdoWf57cjb1rW-7Cmm6WEuwVf8G0B3N8p6KfSce5in29RFcjwPxA>
–
his enactment is expected.

When you take action, you’ll get a message with further suggestions to
express support to your state representative and state senator for their
support for the bill (including a link to the final votes on the bill).  If
you follow your legislators on social media – reach out that way as well.
In our area the key person is Senator Scott Bennett, who is taking a lot of
heat.  Many lawmakers are getting angry, vitriolic messages and could use
our support so that we can continue the effort to make police more
accountable and our criminal legal system more fair. ACLU Illinois suggests
that you see the op-ed in the Chicago Sun-Times.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/1/22/22239356/illinois-police-reform-illinois-black-caucus-justin-slaughter

Thanks.