[ACLU-CU ALERT] Fwd: Volunteering Opportunity to Defend the Pretrial Fairness Act

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Wed Jul 27 15:01:12 EDT 2022

Hi everyone

On behalf of the ACLU Champaign County we would like to make you aware of a
volunteer action to defend against the weakening of the Illinois Pretrial
Fairness Act including Bail Reform that passed in 2021 and is slated to go
into effect January 1 2023.

As an informational  item, there is a link to the contents of the act
below.   ACLU locally and our ACLU Illinois headquarters in Chicago
supported and lobbied strongly for this measure. We are aligned with the
Bail-out Coalition that sent the message  below. There will also be a
statewide ACLU on-line teach-in in the fall to raise awareness before the
fall veto session/legislative session where there might be push-back.

As a volunteer possibility, what is hoped is to train some volunteers to do
court watching here at the courthouse in August to document current
arraignment and bail procedures.  The training is this Saturday for an hour
(see below to register ). Of course, if you have an 8 or 9 to five job,
 this may not work to do court-watching, but students/faculty/teachers,
retirees and others on summer or general flex time might be interested.

Thanks to all those who mobilized for ACLU participation in the July 4
parade—VERY HOT but it was heartening to see both the size of our
contingent and the positive reception it got, especially given the wedge
issues today.

Glad to answer questions but if so, perhaps easier and faster to contact
Carol Leff, current local  CU-ACLU president directly at
carolleff1947 at gmail.com.