[ACLU-CU ALERT] ACTION NOW TO DEFEND PRETRIAL FAIRNESS ACT

Champaign County ACLU Announcements announce at aclu-cu.org
Sat Sep 24 19:06:11 EDT 2022

[image: image.png]

Dear ACLU MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS,

When Illinois passed the Pretrial Fairness Act, this legislation was a
nation-leading achievement in public safety. But now, opponents are
spreading disinformation and trying to water down this pioneering
legislation. *WE CAN'T LET THEM!*

Please call Senator Scott Bennett at 217-355 5252. Your call matters!

Let Senator Bennett and his staff know that you *support the Pretrial
Fairness Act as drafted by the Black Caucus* AND that you *OPPOSE any
changes except those proposed by the Implementation Task Force
<https://www.illinoiscourts.gov/courts/additional-resources/pretrial-implementation-task-force/>.*

It won't do any good to end cash bail if *changes* to the Pretrial Fairness
Act (aka the SAFE-T-ACT) make it possible to hold people in jail for any
infraction, no matter how minor. Please urge Senator Bennett to hold firm,
to support the legislation as passed, and to allow the Implementation Task
Force to do its work to implement the law so that we can make our justice
system fairer.

THANK YOU FOR TAKING ACTION!

Carol Leff, President, and Steering Committee
ACLU of Champaign County